Wednesday, October 21, 2009

NEW BLOG

Hey everyone, its been a while since I've posted because I've been busy writing/performing/recording new songs. I've started a new blog/mission statement called I am an Orchestra.

I'm working on final mixes of two songs right now, Alone Together, and Get Away. "til I found You" is next, a song that whose ending is somewhat inspired by the film "500 Days of Summer."
This album is a blend of my favorite things about music and steals heavily from my favorite artists in ways that may or may not be obvious to the casual listener.
I get tired of hearing people describe their music as something new and unlike anything else when at first listen their a bland copy of The Dave Matthews Band or yet another acoustic guitar playing loop pedal abuser.
I am listening deeply to music to find and learn to recreate the essence of what I love about artists like Cat Stevens, Dr. Dog, Spoon, St. Vincent, The Beatles, Counting Crows, Van Morrison, Tom Waits, Thom Yorke, Gavin Castleton, Danny Elfman, Elbow, and Elvis Costello.

here's some lyrics from the unrecorded gershwin-esque "The Right Combination"

I've tried candy, I've tried flowers, I've tried staying up all night on the phone for hours
but I still don't have the right combination to unlock your heart.

I've tried champagne, I've tried roses, I've been standing next to you striking handsome poses
but I still don't have the right combination to unlock your heart.

Was it two turns to the left, one to the right, or was it three?
Were my love songs out of tune, or did I just forget the key?
What were the secret words to make you fall for me?
Did I stutter "I love you," did I mutter "marry me?"
well, I still don't have the right combination to unlock your heart

I'll try begging, but not stealing. What's it take to give you that funny feeling,
cuz I still don't have the right combination to unlock your heart.

No comments: